Re: Ultra SCSI

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Kevin Traas wrote:

: I should also ask about the Mylex DAC960PD.  Or, are there any other
: Ultra-SCSI RAID controllers supported in Linux?
:
: >Can anyone recommend an Ultra SCSI controller that works under Linux?
: >
: >I'm looking to hang several of the new 18GB Barracuda/Cheetah Seagate
: drives
: >off of one...
: >
: >I'm currently looking at the BusLogic Flashpoint BT-950.
: >
: >Is anyone using this card?  Any comments?
:

The DPT 3334/UW works like a dream in Linux, although you do have to
configure it with the DOS config tools.  I've never tried running the
SCO tool under iBCS ... never was a big deal for me.  YMMV.

As far as UW SCSI controllers go, I've used two: the Adaptec 2940UW and
a NCR 53c875 (Symbios, this one is tainted by Compaq stuff).  I was
pleased with the 2940UW, but I've heard horror stories.  We ran two 4
gig Barracudas on that controller.  The NCR is in a brand new Compaq
Prosignia box.  It seems to be doing fine, no surprises or weirdness,
except when compiling a new kernel; you have a choice for a driver
called NCR 52C7,8xx which seems like it would drive this card.  it
doesn't.  Worse, if you include that driver you don't get the choice to
include the NCR 53C8xx driver, which is the correct one.  Took me a
while to figure that out.

I've read a lot of good things about Buslogic SCSI cards, but I have no
first hand experience with them.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104