Re: simple questions

Britton <fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu> wrote:

 > In my experience this works, but not nicely.  You have to install Win95
 > first, and when it gets itselft all screwed up you can't reinstall it
 > without scrapping your master boot record again, which I'm sure is a real
 > pain if not a castrophe.

  Although the W95 installation code overwrites the MBR without asking
or even telling you, it does not alter the partition table.  Simply
reinstalling the MBR fixes the problem - a pain, yes, but hardly a
catastrophe.

 > I've also found (though it probably should have
 > been obvious) that letting Win95 automagically reboot whill mess up your
 > MBR to where you have to go in with a rescue disk.

  I have not had this experience.  When W95 reboots, it does nothing to
the MBR here.

 > As for my
 > DOS partition, I have to go and run DOS fdisk to get to that, and I know
 > this could be done better, but perhaps not with Win95 on the same system.
 > Anyone got their setup working better?

  If you have different partitions for W95 and DOS, the problem you run
in to is that both require the active flag in the MBR set to the
partition they booted from.  This requires rewriting the MBR at boot
time.  My version of LILO (19) can't do this, because the code turned
out to be buggy and was disabled.  Perhaps later versions (are there
already?) can - look for the REWRITE-TABLE option.  Alternatively, you
could try my Boot Control (see sig).  Although the installation program
is an MS-DOS executable, it installs an MBR that doesn't depend on any
particular OS, and (unlike LILO) doesn't use any other disk space. It
allows you to boot the primary partitions and rewrites itself to disk.

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>
The Boot Control home page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~gklein/bcpage.html