I need help setting up X

HELP!!!  I am stuck in 8 bit mode.  X insists that all of my modes are
wrong so I am stuck in 640x480 8 bit mode.  It sucks.  Included are my
monitor specs.  I have an ET4000w_32p rev. b card.  It has 2mb of
memory.  Please either e-mail me directly or respond to the list.
Please.

Type                                      Extended SVGA Color
Tube Size                                 14"
Resolutions and Refresh Rates Supported   1024 X 768 at 87 Hz Interlaced
                                          800 X 600 at 60 Hz
Non-Interlaced.
                                          800 X 600 at 56 Hz
Non-Interlaced with the S3
chipset.
                                          640 X 480 at 72 Hz
Non-Interlaced
Dot Pitch                                 .39mm
Low Emission Standard Compliant           Yes
Energy Star Compliant                     Yes
Color Range                               262,144
Bandwith                                  45 MHz