Re: Rebuilding the kernel

Andrew Akins wrote:

> I've read all the howtos and got all the files, so I'm pretty sure I
> have a good idea of how to do it (but I'm open to suggestions, if anyone
> has them).

When I followed the directions, everything worked fine.  Easy as pie.

> My problem is this - my &*$#&$ laptop manual doesn't say what the
> settings of my ESS688 sound chip are (IRQ, Mem base, etc). And I no
> longer have any other OS on my machine (I dived into Linux head
> first...), so I have no easy way of running a program to find out.

You might be able to figure it out by poking around in the /proc
filesystem.
I don't have a soundcard, so I can't tell you if this will actually
help.

> The menuconfig script is asking me for these settings (obviously)

Aren't there some sort of defaults?  If the default kernel worked...

>...if I provide the wrong numbers, will the machine boot (without sound),
> or will it completely crash?

I doubt if it will crash, though I might try to avoid specifying any
interrupts or whatevers that are in use by *another* device.

Good advice for anyone doing major surgery on any *NIX system is to
have a rescue disk or something you can boot if everything goes south.
If your surgery involves the kernel, make sure you know how to restore
the kernel from your rescue disk.  If you do all that, the answer to
your question becomes:  who cares?   Try it and see!  :-)