Re: simple questions

--- You wrote:
> Hi Clay.
>
> 1) Yes, Debian can co-exist with Win95. Using something called LILO(
> Linux Loader ), it can become your boot manager, which will allow you
> boot multiple OS's.

In my experience this works, but not nicely.  You have to install Win95
first, and when it gets itselft all screwed up you can't reinstall it
without scrapping your master boot record again, which I'm sure is a real
pain if not a castrophe.  I've also found (though it probably should have
been obvious) that letting Win95 automagically reboot whill mess up your
MBR to where you have to go in with a rescue disk.  When it asks you if
you want to reboot after you add a driver or something, say no.  As for my
DOS partition, I have to go and run DOS fdisk to get to that, and I know
this could be done better, but perhaps not with Win95 on the same system.
Anyone got their setup working better?

--- end of quote ---

I contribute so little in the form of advice to this list, that I figured I'd
jump in here,
it might be my only chance for awhile!!

I have a Debian/Win95 machine, and it works beautifully.  Win95 may try to
cause problems, but LILO can sure keep it in its place.  I'm constantly
rebooting my machine right now because I am still working on setting up my
system to dial in
under Linux.  Right now, I can only dial in under Windows, which, for all its
faults, was easier to get working (though it won't let my 56kbps modem connect
faster than 9600bps, but that is another story).

I can send you my lilo.conf file if you are interested.  I have never had a
problem letting windows or linux reboot the machine (Probably 50+ reboots, just
so you know it is a large enough sample size).

Larry Gariepy
gariepy@dartmouth.edu