Re: Needed Documentation

"Chris Brown" <CBROWN@seitz.com> writes:

> I'm looking for a flowchart or something that describes the boot
> sequence in detail... haven't found anything like that yet.
>
> I'm a newbie to Linux, installed my first two systems this past
> weekend and have tons to learn. I know the PC inside out and am
> comfortable with OS's in general, have witten my share of x86
> assembly and DOS tsr's.
>
> I have no idea what happens during the kernel bootup, initialization
> and the starting of processes. Mainly looking for which process
> invokes what, and how and where control is passed around during
> system startup.

For a general introduction to the topic, you should read the excellent
book: "The Linux System Administrators' Guide" by Lars Wirzenius (who
is also a Debian developer!)

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~wirzeniu/linux/sag/

The book is part of the Linux Documentation Project

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/

> Secondly, I'm looking for a breif but complete listing bash and
> external commands.

The man page for bashis obligatory reading. Its rather long, so i
recommend "man -t bash > bash-manual.ps"

- Sten Anderson