Re: Why libc6?

Ftp upgrades are not tricky, dpkg-ftp upgrades are tricky because there is
no telling if the packages will be installed in the proper order. You can
stiff ftp the needed packages and then install them with a manual dpkg -i
command. No need to wait for a CDROM. By doing it this way, you can be
positive that the packages are installed in the proiper order.

As for why, I think it is part of a general standardization effort between
several commercial and free unix operating systems to work toward a single
common binary format.  To do that, the programs must be compiled against a
common libc.

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Carl Fink wrote:

> I'm certain this has been asked before, but since the search engine
> for the mailing list archive down, please excuse me.
>
> Why?  Why have this enormously difficult and disruptive move from
> libc5 to libc6?  I'm basically unable to install any new .deb packages
> until such time as Debian 2.0 is released, because it would appear to
> be quite difficult to upgrade to libc6 without a CD-ROM, since FTP
> upgrades are tricky over a modem connection.
>
> I'm sure there are advantages to the new GNU libc, but as far as I
> recall no one has explained them on this list.  What advantages does
> the new but incompatible version have, to justify the effort?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
> Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
> <http://dm.net>
>

> --

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux  See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!