Why libc6?

I'm certain this has been asked before, but since the search engine
for the mailing list archive down, please excuse me.

Why?  Why have this enormously difficult and disruptive move from
libc5 to libc6?  I'm basically unable to install any new .deb packages
until such time as Debian 2.0 is released, because it would appear to
be quite difficult to upgrade to libc6 without a CD-ROM, since FTP
upgrades are tricky over a modem connection.

I'm sure there are advantages to the new GNU libc, but as far as I
recall no one has explained them on this list.  What advantages does
the new but incompatible version have, to justify the effort?

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum