zip boot disk?

TO my happy surprise, this old fdomain 1610 scsi controller is happy as a
peach at an 83mhz bus (it's an EISA card).  And it happily talks with the scsi
zip drive I bought for a mac last year.    The floppy drive didn't seem to
survive the transistion to the new board (they're old, wiht unabled pins. I
asked our tech guy which way to mount the cable, and he said he just plugged
'em in, and switched if they didn't work . . .)

SO I have no floppy, 4 hard drives, and a zip disk, with a motherboard that
can boot off scsi from the bios.

I'd like to make a bootable zip disk, with a self-contained file system.

Given that I have a running system, is this a matter of installing the base
package with the --root option, then switching to /zip/dev and running
./MAKEWDEV ?

rick