Re: How do people make backups on Linux?

In article <m0xaNJx-0001OEC@fly.cnuce.cnr.it>,
	F.Potorti@cnuce.cnr.it (Francesco Potorti`) writes:
[snip]
> I considered dump, but it does not compress, so I won't use it.  I am
[snip]

If your backups are critical you might not want to compress them at all.
Or, at least, be careful how the compression is performed.  Compression
before archiving (gzip then tar) is more forgiving of media errors than
compression after archiving (tar then gzip).  In the latter case you
will lose more data if the archive/tape is corrupt.

IMHO: Get a bigger tape.
--
                                       _ _
Steve Kostecke                        | (_)_ __  _   ___  __