Annoying boot-up messages

This started happening weeks ago when I upgraded from rex to bo. It seems
to have no real effect other than the annoying boot-up messages.

The other day I built a custom kernel and updated all my installed packages
from ftp.debian.org, and it didn't magically go away, so I guess it's time
to ask: "What's going on and how do I fix it?"

---------------------------  schnipp!  --------------------------------
Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)
/dev/hdb5: clean, 11296/44176 files, 116691/176035 blocks
Sony CDU-535: probing base address 340
Sony CDU-535 I/F CDROM : SONY     CDROM CDU-531-01 1.0b  base address 340, using 65536 byte buffer
hpfs modprobe: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
lp modprobe: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
serial modprobe: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
bsd_comp modprobe: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
modprobe: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

What I'm concerned about, of course, are the lines like this:

modprobe: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Cheers,
 Pann