Re: Commands Manual

Remco Blaakmeer <remco@Cal011205.student.utwente.nl> wrote:

 > I think his needs are far more basic than that. He seems to be wanting a
 > list of utility-names, as most first-time Linux users (including me) want.
 > There are not many things more frustrating than thinking "I know it can be
 > done, but I don't know how and I don't even know with what utility, so I
 > don't know what man page to look at" -- if you have already discovered the
 > very existance of the 'man' utility.

  I remember in my early days of Linux trying to create such a list, by
printing out a directory listing of /bin and /usr/bin, and running man
for each of the files I found there.  I made a file (by hand!) with
one-line descriptions for each program I found that way.  Imagine how I
felt when I heard about apropos!

  To get an idea of what's available, the original poster may want to
try something like:

apropos -r '*' | awk '$2 ~ (1) {print}' | less

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>
The Boot Control home page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~gklein/bcpage.html