Re: KDE team doesn't like Debian dist.?

> On Sun, Nov 23, 1997 at 11:58:51PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 23, 1997 at 04:49:21PM -0600, Paul Serice wrote:
> > > I've just finished installing the right honorable Debian version of
> > > KDE.  I'm impressed with how well it works and how well it is
> > > packaged.
> > >
> > > The README.debian file says the KDE team is not too happy with the
> > > packaging.  I'm wondering why.
> >
> > Maybe simple.  They prefer the /opt way.  But as it's a piece of
> > software which can be fully integrated in the usual tree a set of
> > /usr/bin /usr/lib, /var/lib/ &c should be used.
>
> If we put everything the size of KDE into /opt, we could just
> about delete /usr now!

Indeed.  I never quite understood this strategy of putting things under
/opt.  Once I had problems on a SUN because the system couldn't handle
the length of the PATH an MANPATH variables anymore: every package gets
its own bin, lib and man directory.  We should never indulge in letting
this plague enter the debian file system structure.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032