Re: PnP does not respond to cu

On Sun, Nov 23, 1997 at 10:26:35PM -0600, Charles Read wrote:
> Here's what's happening:
>
> # cu --speed 115200 --line /dev/ttyS1
> cu: open (/dev/ttyS1): Permission denied
> cu: /dev/ttyS1: Line in use
> # dmesg | grep tty
> tty01 at 0x02f8 (irg = 3) is a 16450
> # ls -l /dev/tty01
> ls: /dev/tty01: No such file or directory
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Why does /dev/tty01 appear in dmesg?
> 2. Why does cu claim /dev/ttyS1 is tied up?
>     ... has permission problems?
> 3. Do I need any special modules loaded into
>    my kernel?  Eg, like a PnP module?

The devices can be called anything at all in /dev; the kernel refers
to them as /dev/tty0n, which in Debian's context is incorrect,
as we called them /dev/ttySn.

It could be permission problems, but since you seem to be root
that's unlikely. Check for locks on the device in /var/lock.

hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.