Re: can't change password

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Paul wrote:

> hi everybody, somebody tried to change there by using the command passwd
> they entered their old password entered the new password twice as per
> usual but came up with this error
>
> Cannot change ID to root.
>
> I am using shadow passwords on my system. Any insight would be greatly
> apprciated.
> Paul
> if you need more information please email me.

I think your /usr/bin/passwd might not be setuid. Check if it looks like
this:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/passwd
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root        27992 Sep 27 03:46 /usr/bin/passwd
$
   ^

Note the 's' on the fourth position. If there is something else on the
fourth position you should do

# chmod 4755 /usr/bin/passwd

as root and try again.

Remco