Ghostscript / Brother HL-660

Hi. I have recently installed Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1 and things
are going fine. There are two configuration problems that I can't
solve.

1. What is the precise incantation to ask Ghostscript to print a
   postscript file to my Brother HL-660 laser printer? I used to be
   able to do this in the past, but I can't remember the options.
   I tried something like
      gs -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 foo.ps
   but I only get this:

/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/n022003l.pfb... 1750128 432798 1300076 11891
0 done.

   If I then press Ctrl-D, I get error messages from gs
   (/undefined in Article).

   I am the only one using my machine so I don't mind sending
   the data directly to the device instead of going through
   the lpr system.

2. What was the variable to define to make vi display 8-bit
   character codes instead of displaying things like \xe9 ?

I used to have a FreeBSD system but I lost most of its
configuration files some time ago...

Thanks for your time.

--
Pierre Sarrazin <ps@cam._nospam_.org> [Montreal]