Re: Ghostscript / Brother HL-660

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Pierre Sarrazin wrote:
> 1. What is the precise incantation to ask Ghostscript to print a
>    postscript file to my Brother HL-660 laser printer? I used to be
>    able to do this in the past, but I can't remember the options.

You could consider to install magicfilter:

: Magicfilter is a customizable, extensible automatic printer filter. It uses
: its own magic database (a la file(1)) to decide how to print out an given
: entry.

So, if you print a PS file (i.e., a file starting with %!) via lpr,
it automatically calls gs with thje right parameters.

>    I tried something like
>       gs -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 foo.ps
>    but I only get this:

> /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/n022003l.pfb... 1750128 432798 1300076 11891
> 0 done.

Try something like
  gs -sDEVICE=ljet4 -dNOPAUSE -q -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 -c quit
or, even better,
  gs -sDEVICE=ljet4 -dNOPAUSE -q -sOutputFile=\|lpr -c quit

 -dNOPAUSE: gs does not stop after each page
 -q: suppresses some messages like
 -c quit: automatically exits at the end of the job
 -sOutputFile=\|program: sends the output to program using a pipe

Ciao,

Marco