Re: X startup problems

> What's the deal with xdm?  My understanding was that that was the program
> used to login under X, without having to login from a console and then
> issue a startx command.  During installation I told the program I wanted
> to start X with xdm; I see a message when I boot about xdm being started,
> and then I log in to a console.  Then if I try to use startx like I'm
> used to, I get a bunch of error messages about some missing socket thing
> (I'm not at home right now so I can't quote the exact error), then I get
> an error message about not finding xinit.  Anybody know what I did wrong,
> or what I need to do?

if xdm is running, you should be getting an xconsole, with no need for startx.  however, startx can be usefull for debugging.

type   /etc/init.d/xdm stop

to kill the running xdm.

I've had that missingsocket message on two diffeernet machiens from using the wrong xserver--i believe that SVGA will support almost anything, but using another server on a bcard i t t doesn't support will cause either the behavior you see, or a blinking console

rick