Kernel build and install problems

I just used make-kpkg to build a new kernel for the unstable
installation on this machine.  I built the new kernel primarily because
I was (and am) having trouble getting the ethernet module to load at
boot.

I had some surprising trouble building this kernel.  I (and indeed,
make) could not as86 or ld86.  I tried searching in the Packages files
and even Packages-Master.  I grepped the contents of several (likely in
my opinion) packages but could not find them in unstable.

Ultimately, I just mounted the stable systems usr partition on a
directory in /mnt/ and linked the stables versions to unstable.  I was
pleasently surprised by the fact that this seemed to work -- at least
the kernel compiled and the machine boots the new kernel.

Are these two rather important programs not in unstable?  I guess that I
am more than just a little mystified as to why they are not present on
my machine?

best,
-bill