Re: crash at partition check during boot

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel N. Weber II <devnull@gnu.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Friday, November 21, 1997 2:37 PM
Subject: crash at partition check during boot

>I am attempting to get a debian rescue disk to boot.  The disk seems to boot
>fine when tried on another machine.  I've also tried writing the same image
>to a different floppy, and that does not change the error.
>
>The machine crashes when after saying `partition check' and then `hda:'.
>If I specify `hda=noprobe', the machine boots fine but does not see the
>first hard drive. (It does seem to see hdb.)
>
>hda has been repartitioned in DOS fdisk and OS fdisk and then low-level
>formatted; none of these things seem to prevent linux from crashing.
>
>This is the standard boot disk image downloaded a few weeks ago; the kernel
>version is 2.0.29-7.
>
>I suppose I could continue using hda=noprobe, but I'd hate to lose the 500 MB
>had and have to use only the 300 MB hdb.
>
>Do you have any suggestions as to what I could try to fix this problem?

Remove hdb.  Remove hda and move hdb to hda.  Swap hda and hdb.  Try hda in
another machine.

Boot dos(ick!), run FDISK, then run FDISK /MBR.

Adam Heath of Borg-Linux adam.heath@usa.net Join the H323 effort.  Email
http://www.debian.org - Get Your Own Linux! h323-request@cichlid.com with
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/3375265 - Page Me  the word subscribe in the body.