Where is /etc/hosts in Debian?

Hi,

I can't find a /etc/hosts file in the Debian distribution.  When I go

	dpkg --search etc/hosts

it doesn't find it.  Does Debian have this file?

The lack of it has cause problems for a friend.  He wrote:

> Whenever I have PCMCIA cards running on my (Toshiba) laptop it is
> impossible to open emacs from the console (rather than in an X
> environment). Emacs just hangs and the only way to stop it is to kill
> the process from another virtual console. Recently, after using my
> modem, and then removing the modem card I tried to run emacs and
> received teh following message:  eth0:trigger-send() called with the
> transmitter busy. Why should emacs interact in this way with
> (presumably)  the card manager and how do I overcome the problem.

He has managed to fix the problem with a hosts file.  So I am
wondering why Debian doesn't install a hosts file as part of the network
setup.  Anyone know?

Thanks,

Mark.