Re: Problem with shadow passwd, MD5 crypt and XDM

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Dany Dionne wrote:

> Hi,
> I just enable shadow password on our server (debian 1.3.1). I activate
> the MD5 encryption in /etc/login.defs . If the user change their
> password, they can't loggin on the console (with xdm-shadow 3.3) but by
> telnet they can access the station.
> So, where is the problem?

Unfortunatelly MD5 passwords are not transparently supported by libc5 so
most libc5 programs wont work with them (btw I heard that libc 5.4.38
supports it, but debian ships 5.4.33). Libc6 suppports MD5
transparently, so it will work with the next debian release (2.0)
correctly.

Greg

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org