Re: Best partition distibution for new install.

I would not suggest worrying about using logical partitions in Linux.
Though I don't really know, I suspect that there might be a little more
overhead in accessing them (at least for mounting) but even if there is
some for an aready mounted partition, it is my experience that you won't
"see" the difference.

I personally know that I have had at least 3 primary and 4 logical
partitions per drive.  It seems to me that I have had more than 4
logical partitions on one drive but memory being what it is (mine that
is), I can not be certain.

As to having both a stable and unstable Debian Linux system on your
machine at one time...  I have had as many as five different Linux
systems on one machine at the same time (two Red Hat, two Debian, one
Unifix) plus DOS and OS2.  No problem (though getting DOS and OS2
installed under such circumstances can be a serious pain!)

Sharing directories...  While I am sure that there are many opinions
about this, mine is that it is fine to share /tmp and /swap.  Sharing
/home is, at least in my opinion, some what dangerous.  Many
configuration files will exist in the users' directories and you may
find yourself with incompatible versions.  I don't necessarily see this
a a big problem, just one that will 'bite you' at the most unexpected
times.  Also, if you want to play around with things like mail deliver
systems, having a common /home might cause you to break your mail on all
systems.

I see /usr/local as a different matter.  Right now, the libc5/libc6
"problem" with Linux could cause you problems if you have a
/usr/local/bin, usr/local/lib, etc. but otherwise I think it should be
"safe".

On previous configurations, I always shared /usr/src but with a debian
system, I think even that can be problematical (a solution, I believe is
to always install from only one of the systems -- but I have not tried
that yet).

best,
-bill