Re: smail

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Gerald Livingston wrote:

> OK -- I'm ready to properly configure smail on my single user dynamic
> ip system.
>
>    Who knows where the best FAQ for that is?  Big thing is, I need to
> manage mail accounts from several different addresses. (gvl@141.com,
> gvl@telescan.com, gvl@lcc.net).  I'll probably use procmail to
> separate them after I pull them in.
>
>    I need all OUTGOING mail to say "gvl@141.com"

For pulling them in, look at the fetchmail examples.  For an smail setup
that works under the dynamic-IP case (including rewriting the from: line
on outgoing mail) I'll put in a plug for my page at:
http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html

>    My systems current name is force-1.  Naturally, that name means
> nothing when I log on as my ISP assigns a name to whatever port I
> connect to.

The smail setup alluded to above will allow smail to accept mail addressed
either to "force-1" or to whatever name your ISP assigns when it gives you
your new IP address.  This may not be too useful for you, but I find it
nice.

>   If I can find a sucker -- errr -- nice person to host for me, would
> it be possible for me to set up a MX on someone's system such as
> force-1.xxx.com and have mail addressed to gvl@force-1.xxx.com be
> held on the host system until it is somehow recognized that I am
> online so SMTP delivery to smail can occur?

Hmmm.... this could be tricky - you'd need some way to notify the nice
person with the DNS machine that you'd gone offline - otherwise, how would
they be able to know that they were delivering mail to your machine, and
not to some other box that had dialed up recently and taken the DNS
address you used to have?  A bit of a tricky problem, I think - the only
solutions I can think of are a bit messy.