Re: ncurses3.4

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Orn E. Hansen wrote:

>   Now, I can use pppd to manually put up my network... but diald (which I
> normally use) doesn't work, it will fail with 'sl0: transmit timeout, bad
> line quality?'...

Okay, to be fair I never use diald, so I don't know what could be wrong
here.

>   And now lets see, here is ghostview...
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/bin/X11/ghostview
> 0x804df70 in _start ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x804df70 in _start ()
> #1  0x80c2588 in ?? ()
> #2  0x804c9fe in _start ()
> (gdb)
>
>   And then there is xfig...
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/bin/X11/xfig
> xfig: this input-method don't support OffTheSpot input style
> xfig: using ROOT input style instead.
> (no debugging symbols found)...
> 0x4020d8a4 in free ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x4020d8a4 in free ()
> #1  0x4020d841 in free ()
> #2  0x400c49ad in XtFree ()
> #3  0x4006a543 in _XawMultiSaveAsFile ()
> #4  0x40069f7d in XawListShowCurrent ()
> #5  0x400e4837 in XtSetSensitive ()
> #6  0x400e4daf in XtSetValues ()
> #7  0x40079e5e in _XawTextExecuteUpdate ()
> #8  0x400e4837 in XtSetSensitive ()
> #9  0x400e47f8 in XtSetSensitive ()
> #10 0x400e4daf in XtSetValues ()
> #11 0x80b31c5 in _start ()
> #12 0x80adb92 in _start ()
> #13 0x809a85d in _start ()
> #14 0x80a9d52 in _start ()
> #15 0x80765bc in _start ()
> (gdb)
>

>   These two programs are well known and function fully on normal Unix
> systems, that is also why I list them here.  The problem, at least in
> the case of xfig, is a clash between libc5 and libc6.  A library will
> establish a pointer through libc5, and then X will try to free it
> through libc6... or in other cases this is vice versa.  This case is
> interresting, because the backtrace shows that this is the fault of the
> Xaw3d... this is because Xaw3d library is listed before /usr/X11R6/lib
> in ld.so.conf, removing the reference to Xaw3d will allow xfig to
> function normally... similar SIGSEGV are called in many programs, even
> that I compile here, and usually the fault is found inside malloc() or
> free()...

See, you've pointed out the problem and even there is a solution.  Remove
xaw3d or update it to the version that is compiled correctly.  Its a bug
with the old xaw3d, the new version was uploaded recently (IIRC).

>   All these problems have to do with collition between libraries, either at
> the maintainers' or at the users end.

Yep, it's a bug in xaw3d.  Not exactly making your system unusable, since
it is easilly fixed.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/