Re: Help needed intalling debian

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, David Welch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am brand new to linux and debian.  I have been trying to intall debian
> on my Toshiba T1910 laptop (intel 486sx33, 4mb ram).
>
> I have downloaded all the required files from
> debian/stable/disks-i386/current.  When I try to use rawrite to copy
> resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin to disk I get either "address mark not found"
> or "sector not found" error.  Attempting to boot with the rescue disk
> hangs my computer.  I was able to copy the other disk image files without
> problems.

There are several possibilities for these errors. First make sure you have
a top quality floppy (Check it with Norton DD or some such). Bad floppies
is the most common cause of failure. It is also not clear exactly how you
are using rawrite (BTW, this should be rawrite2.exe, found in the same
directory). If you are running windows, you will want to get to the dos
prompt for this, as windows will interfere with the write process. If you
have '95 the problem is more complex and I will deferr to someone with
more experience with that problem.
In addition, many laptops have problems with the bzImage that is provided
on the installation disk. Depending on which section of disks you
downloaded, there should be a special subdirectory that contains a tecra
and a v30 directory. The tecra kernel is a zImage and should work on your
machine. I would try these resc and drv disks and see if that helps the
problem.

Luck,

Dwarf