Ping won't work..

Hello all!

We have a Linux laptop here that we've just recompiled kernel 2.0.30
along with the PCMCIA card services for a 3C589 ethernet card.
We've finally gotten some communication over the ethernet card
but not everything works.  For instance, from the box we can telnet
out to other machines.  And we can ping other machines.  But,
when we go to these other machines and try to ping the box or
telnet back to the box it doesn't seem to work.  Any ideas why
this might occur?  Bad configuration somewhere?  Some option in
the kernel compile?

Richard..