Re: Has anyone bought the debian book and cds?

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Bill Leach wrote:

> The usefulness of this RedHat technical support for me however, proved to worthless.  Tech support registration and
> receipt of 'trouble tracking numbers' turned out to be the only part of their system that functioned.  NO email response beyond the auto-responders was ever received -- no
> questions, no suggestions, nada!
>
> The users list provided some suggestions, none of which helped but still there was an attempt by other users.
> Finally, I received the ONE suggestion that worked, from another user experiencing the same sort of problems that
> I was experiencing....
>                 Switch to debian!!
> That worked!

About a year ago, when there was much talk about integrating RPM into our
packaging system, I signed up on the RedHat User's Mailing List to see
what I could learn. While I have always been pleased with the level of
technical information traffic on the Debian lists, I was disappointed with
what I saw from RedHat. There were a number of user questions posted to
the list (while not the volume that debian-user sees) and almost no
replies from the actual developers at RedHat. This gave the list the air
of a desperate "chat room" where folks with problems would, as a last
resort, come and air their difficulties. Many folks crying on each others
shoulders, often with the same exact problems, with no one able to supply
any solutions. I can't speak to the state of their lists today, but from
what I hear from others things haven't changed much, if at all.

You pays your quarter, and you takes your chances ...

Luck,

Dwarf