RE: libc5 to libc6: purge or install *-dev?

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> Didn't save me.  I followd the instructions on an old test system here and
> STILL managed to blow it up. I was tired and cranky ... got to the part where I
> manuall did a dpkg on libc6 ... but it conflicts with libc5 ... (dpkg -i
> libc6_2.0.4-1.i386.deb) so without thinking I did a dpkg -r --force depends
> libc5 thinking that my next command would be to install libc6 ... there was no
> next command on that system.

Well, this seems to be a great example of the "Golden Rule For Moving From
Libc5 To Libc6":

Do NOT use --force on dpkg, the conflicts are there for a good reason!

<snip>
> Seems kind of a chicken and egg problem to me right now but I will get it
> sorted out, cant install libc6 'cause it conficts with libc5, can't remove
> libc5, I am considering the Kavorkian method of point-and-click system admin at
> this point.

As with many libraries that exist in a libc5-version and a libc6-version:
First upgrade the libc5-version to the one in unstable and then install
the libc6-version. If you'd just point dselect to unstable, you'd have no
problem with this. If you do it with dpkg only, you'll have to figure out
all dependencies and conflicts by yourself.

I am sure this is in the libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO. Or else it should be.

Remco