Re: Problem Installing Debian Linux

"Rob Green" <domingo@mergetel.com> writes:

> Hello tried to install Debian the other nite.
> I have partitioned my drive 750-250Mbs for debian on the 250Mbs
> I boot the rescue disk and it starts install
> then it reaches this error message
>
> Probing PCI hardware
> Warning unknown PCI device (1039:5107) please read include/linux/pci.h
>
> As i have not installed it yet i cannot read this file..

The file is not exactly overloaded with comments. Practically the only
useful comment is a description of how to report new devices (shown
below).

A simple search in the file revealed this section:

#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_SI		0x1039
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_6201		0x0001
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_6202		0x0002
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_6205		0x0205
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_503		0x0008
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_501		0x0406
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_496		0x0496
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_601		0x0601
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_5511		0x5511
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_SI_5513		0x5513

My guess is that one of

> Silicon Integrated System PCI to ISA bridge
> Silicon Integrated System Pentium(r) to PCI bridge (original)

is currently unsupported (the mysterious 5107).

Perhaps you should post your problem to comp.os.linux.development.system
That is apparently where the kernel hackers hang out, when they are
not busy writing PCI drivers.

- Sten Anderson

/*	PROCEDURE TO REPORT NEW PCI DEVICES
 * We are trying to collect information on new PCI devices, using
 * the standard PCI identification procedure. If some warning is
 * displayed at boot time, please report
 *	- /proc/pci
 *	- your exact hardware description. Try to find out
 *	  which device is unknown. It may be you mainboard chipset.
 *	  PCI-CPU bridge or PCI-ISA bridge.
 *	- If you can't find the actual information in your hardware
 *	  booklet, try to read the references of the chip on the board.
 *	- Send all that to linux-pcisupport@cao-vlsi.ibp.fr,
 *	  and I'll add your device to the list as soon as possible
 *
 * BEFORE you send a mail, please check the latest linux releases
 * to be sure it has not been recently added.
 *
 *        Thanks
 *		Frederic Potter.
 */