Re: misc questions.

> i have just installed debian on my first intel machine (i've had apples
> forever) and i have a couple of questions i hope someone doesn't mind
> answering for me. though i've checked out man pages, i haven't been able
> to figure these out on my own, though the answer may be easy ... so, what
> do i need to do to:
>
> 1. change the resolution / pixel depth of my x setup?

You need to edit the file "/etc/X11/XF86Config". At the buttom of this
file is a number of sections labled "Screen". One for each
server (driver). Find the section for the server you use (e.g. SVGA)
and insert the line "DefaultColorDepth 32" (or a number of your
choice). Now find the subsection that coresponds to that
colourdepth. There is a list of relolutions. Make sure that your
preferred resolution at that depth is the first in this list.

***** Sample *****

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 32

   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        32
      Modes        "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

*** End sample ***

BTW: This is described in detail in "man XF86Config".

- Sten Anderson