dselect problems

My HD is partitioned accordingly:
30mb for thr root directory /
450mb for /usr
50mb for swap space
1000mb for home directories /usr/local
0mb for /tmp
40mb for /var
	I will be the sole user on this system.  Is there a better way to
arrange these directories on the partitions?
	I started dselect up and selected all and started the install
process.  It installed everything to my root directory! :(  I was told by
someone to mount the directories to the partitions.  How do I do this?
Thanks for your help,
Nathan