RE: `su to root' entry in syslog

Either the program he is running is suid root (look for a file owned by root
with the s set in the file permissions when you do an ls -l on the file.) Or
you have sudo or some such that is allowing to execute certain programs as root.

Still, it would not hurt to change the root password.  Someone could have
guessed that user's password and might be using the account.