RE: News server software

cnews is available as a debian package. if you are a small site, newsx might
halp you. I use cnews + nntpd (recompiled with msgidd support) and nntplink to
maintain the nntp feeds. For my small number of feeds, I find cnews much more
stable and resource friendly than inn. It tends to run for months at a time
between problems. The nntplink source (not available as a Debian package) also
has patches to cnews to convert relaynews to a daemon. This converts cnews from
a batched to a streamig news system.