Re: Modem configuration

Matthew Majka <mmajka@cs5.dasd.honeywell.com> writes:

> I just got PPP working a couple days ago at home, so this is
> still fresh in my mind.  For some reason, the /dev/cu
> devices didn't exist (using minicom clued me into this), so
> I had to do `cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV serial-cu` to get started.

You shouldn't use the cua? devices; they're for compatibility with old
(broken) applications only, and aren't needed on any modern Linux
system.  Use ttyS? instead.

The problem with the locking done by the cua? devices is that it
doesn't work with multiple outgoing applications, e.g. if you're using
minicom and diald kicks in.

--
    Carey Evans  <*>  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/  gc

     "Trust Ivanova.  Trust yourself.  Anyone else - shoot them."