Re: starting xdm

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
 > Will Lowe wrote:

 >> I'd like my system to come up running xdm or kdm.  What is the proper
 >> place to do this?  Right now I'm just logging in and doing "sudo kdm",
 >> but I've a feeling that there's probably a correct runlevel or something
 >> to do this in.

 > In /etc/X11/config, you need the line

 >        start-xdm

 > as explained somewhere in the Debian documentation for X.

  Note that if, when installing X, you answered "no" to the question
whether you wanted xdm to start at boot time, there will be no server in
the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, even though the script comments claim
this should happen:

# X servers are automatically added to this file by the Debian
# xbase and xserver configuration scripts.

  I had a hell of a time figuring out what was wrong; it turns out I had
to add a line like the following to that file:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

  After setting this (and changing "no-start-xdm" and
"no-xdm-start-server" to "start-xdm" and "xdm-start-server" in
/etc/X11/config), things worked like expected.  I guess I should try to
figure out how to file a bug report, as the absent line in Xservers
seems a bug to me.

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>