re-thinking partitions

hi everybody,

I'm re-thinking my HD partitioning and would apreciate some advice!

- are symlinks really fast?

- I read somewhere that "500mb for /var and /tmp" is fine;
  what exactly does that mean? two partitions summing up 500mb?
  one 500mb partition and symlinks from /var and /tmp?

- why is /usr/tmp symlynked to ../var/tmp instead of /var/tmp?
  same applies to /usr/spool; is it important?

- what will happen with hard lynks if I "cp -d" from one part to
  another?

TIA!

--
Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\