modem over network

I'm trying to access the modem on another linux box directally.  I have read
the mini-HOWTO on how to do this Windoze -> linux, but want it linux -> linux.

It goes something like this:

small daemon(modemd) to redirect modem on server:  (from miniHOWTO)

#!/usr/bin/perl
select((select(STDOUT), $| = 1)[$[]);
select((select(STDIN), $| = 1)[$[]);
exec 'cu -l /dev/modem';
die '$0: Cant exec cu: $!\n';

in /etc/inetd.conf:
#
# modem daemon
#
modem stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/modemd /dev/modem

in /etc/services:
modem           2006/tcp        modemd

Now I can get to the modem via telnet, but How do I make it look like a device
on the client macine is the modem?  ie -- How do I link a device to a remote
port?

Also, does the 'cu' command come in any Debian packages?  It's not on my
machine.

--
Brian Rectanus
Kansas State University