Re: starting xdm

Will,

Don't know about KDE, but.....

I believe an appropriate entry in /etc/rc5.d is where the debian package
of xdm installs itself (I have an S99xdm entry there).  IIRC the debian
package postinstall asks you if you'd like to log directly into xdm. It's
a symbolic link to /etc/init.d/xdm.  That seems in turn to point to a
binary (/usr/bin/X11/xdm) and a config file /etc/X11/config.  I lost the
audit trail after that.  IIRC the debian package postinstall asks you if
you'd like to log directly into X. I answered yes, then had to modify that
config file to not start xdm when I broke my X-server.  My
recommendation:  don't do this if your X-server is broken :-)

                                             hth, kevin