LD_LIBRARY_PATH causes problems in hamm distribution

After upgrading ldso, libc6 and several other packages, several packages
failed to work, responding "segmentation violation",
	xv, xfig, xephem
The cause of this was my setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bashrc.
I had used this setting with no problems for a year under rex and bo.

To correct this, I tried many combinations of paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
including those in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I could never get all packages to work
with any LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I could get xv and xfig to work, but then vim would
respond "caught deadly signal SEGV".

The file /etc/ld.so.conf seems to do properly what LD_LIBRARY_PATH did.
I presume we should NO longer use the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"If merely 'feeling good' could decide, drunkenness would be the supremely
valid human experience."      --William James, Varieties of Religious
Experience