Re: [Q] source package building

In article <debian-user.87yb2u9e54.fsfjgh@dhh.gt.org>, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> Santiago Vila Doncel writes:
> > That extra step does often take just a little more time. The build takes
> > often much more time. *.deb files have an internal structure that only
> > dpkg knows about. I'm not sure what you want to achieve.
>
> I thought he was fairly clear.  He wants 'make install' to create a binary
> package and then install it without manual intervention.  Sounds sensible
> to me.

Close, but not quite.  I would like 'make install' or similar to build
the programs, configuration files, pre/postinst scripts, and then install
them, _without_ actually building a .deb binary package file, but still
modifying dpkg's view of what is installed.

It just seems silly to pack everything into a .deb file and then have
dpkg unpack it to install it.  Certainly just going ahead and having it
build the binary package and then installing that is feasible, and even
fairly easily automatable, but it looks like an unnecessary step.

Thank you for your replies.

--
Aaron Denney