Problems using adduser with NIS

Hi,
I'm having difficulty adding users to my network which runs nis.
I have a mail server which also stores the home directories.
This is where I set up new users, but users cannot log into this machine.
They access their directories over NFS, and get their mail the same way
through qmail's Mailbox system.

To restrict access to the mail server, I have those +||||| type lines
halfway through my /etc/passwd and /etc/group files (with the right number
of bars).

If I try to use the adduser perl script, it stuffs up, because the group
hasn't actually been created by the first stage, to be used in the second
stage.

Switching NIS off while I do it, won't help because the NIS either replaces
what comes after +||| or ignoes it.

I haven't tried it, but I imagine I could manually delete the +||| in the
passwd and group files. Run adduser and then put them back. That might be
slightly easier than manually setting things up, but not by much.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem? And perhaps have a solution?

thanks

David..

--
Binary Bar - Australia's first free access internet bar/cafe/gallery.
243 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia. 5pm - 1am