Re: pseudo-static IP for webserver?

Assuming there is an ethernet between the two machines, you can configure
one ethernet card to be 192.168.0.1 and the other to be 192.168.0.2 with a
netmask of 255.255.255.0, broadcast 192.168.0.255 and network address of
192.168.0.0

If the win95 machine is the one with the modem, make sure that you do not
have bridging enabled in the network portion of the control panel. If the
Linux box is the one with the modem, maks sure that IP-Forwarding is not
enabled.

Add the proper entries in your /etc/hosts file on the linux box and run
the debian bind package. Have the windows box (assuming it has the modem)
use two (or more) nameservers, the last one being the linux box. If the
linux box has the modem, have it use itself first and point the windows
box to the linux box as far as nameservers go. (control panel / network /
protocols / tcp-ip / properties ... I think). Reboot the win box and go
for it.

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> I wish I knew enough about the details here to phrase this right, but
> anyway:
>
> I need to test software that uses a browser to control it.  That is,
> news & web accounts on the server are administratively controlled
> through web pages from other machines.  (the server runs apache).
>
> To test this, I need to use a machine that has no access to the world
> other than a modem.  So it needs to sit as a server, and also run a
> session on another machine running a browser to access the server
> (though preliminary testing could have the browser on the same machine).
>
> However, none of the local ISP's provide stack IP numbers.  Is there any
> decent way to handle this?  All i can think of is to change to the
> current IP on the remote machine every time . . .
>
> rick
>

> --

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux  See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!