installing a library

I would like to know how to install a library, "lmlib 0.5.2" for use with
Enlightenment desktop. It has its own install function but I need to know
where to install it from. Like where is the best place to gunzip/tar files
in, like "c:\temp" in DOS. If and after an install what files there can be
deleted, etc.
Also, when I try to install it I get a message saying I'm missing convert
in /bin/sh. It also seems to want "make" and I'm sure that's installed ;)
Thanks,
       clif