Re: X server setup under 1.3.1 (Matrox Mystique + Sony 200sx)

On 10 Nov 1997, Sten Anderson wrote:

> "Alan D. Brunelle" <brunelle@zk3.dec.com> writes:
>
> > I have just loaded 1.3.1 onto my system at home which has a Matrox
> > Mystique (220 w/ 4MB RAM) plus a Sony 200sx (17" multiscan monitor). I
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> In the current version, there is only support for Mystique 170. :-(
>
> Se the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.MGA for details.
>
> - Sten Anderson

If by "the current version" you mean the X shipped with Debian 1.3.1
(which is XFree86 version 3.3), then yes.
If by "the current version" you mean XFree86 3.3.1, then no - it works
just fine with my Mystique 220.

Unfortunately, the only Debianized XFree86 3.3.1 around (last I checked)
is for libc6, and is in hamm.  Here's more or less how I got the standard
XFree86 3.3.1 to work on my Debian system:

Download the required XFree86 stuff - check the RELNOTES file (Section 5)
in the directory /pub/XFree86/current/binaries/Linux-ix86/ - you only need
what's listed as required for a 3.3 to 3.3.1 upgrade.  (that is, extract,
the two .sh scripts, and a few XF*.tgz files) Also, grab the SVGA server
.tgz file (I can't remember the exact name, but it's in there).  Then go
ahead and install as it tells you to in RELNOTES, (remember to install the
SVGA server too!) and then run XF86Setup - answer all the questions as you
would normally, but beware once you get past the test X screen (this
happens after you've told it everything about your machine, and it's
dropped you into the nice resolutions that your card can handle).  The
setup program will ask you about making X a symbolic link to XF86_SVGA -
say no!  Debian does things a bit differently, and making this symlink
could break things.

Now you have to go clean up a bit.
Debian wants the config file to be /etc/X11/XF86Config, but the standard
installation will put it somewhere like /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.  (I
_think_ I remembered the default location properly)  Assuming that's where
it put it, what you have to do is:
mv /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config
ln -s /etc/X11/XF86Config /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config

Also, make certain that the top line of /etc/X11/Xserver (I may have that
capitalized incorrectly) ends in XF86_SVGA.  Now do one last bit of
cleaning up:
chmod u-s /usr/X11/bin/XF86_*

And all should be well.  If you forget and answer "y" to the symlink
question, just go through the other changes and then re-install xbase (to
reinstall you have to bypass dselect and use dpkg - just mount your cd,
find the xbase package and do:
  dpkg --install xbase-3.3_OtherJunk.deb
) However, I also didn't have to reinstall xbase, so I don't know how that
might mess things up. :)

DANIEL MARTIN