Why would modprobe be looking for binfmt-0 ?

This is a strange one:

I have java executable and aout executable support compiled as modules.
These both have names that begin with binfmt, but I can see no reference
to anything called "binfmt-0" in /etc/modules or
/lib/modules/2.0.27/modules.dep

Nor is there any so-named module anywhere that I can find.

/var/log/daemon.log shows that modprobe can't find it while looking
about once per minute, and it apparently gave up about 90 minutes ago,
for now.

Any ideas on where else I can look?

Thanks
-dh