RE: knews Q.

This is from the man page in the section that describes the config file ....
after the part that describes the x resources. You really need to read through
the manual carefully ... all of it.

       Here  is  an  example  of  some settings that will improve
       things over a slow network connection:

       readActiveFile:          False
       retrieveDescriptions:    False
       descriptionsFile:        ~/.knews/cache-%s/descriptions
       fillNewsrcFile:          True

       but note that you will probably want to  read  the  active
       file  and  group  descriptions at least the first time you
       connect to a server.