Re: Opera Web Browser (with an html address...)

> > I don't know about your scam-o-meter, but I'd rather go for this option
> > and "risk" the US$35 myself, then to wait for a company like Microsoft,
> > who can afford the kind of money to develop a browser for linux without up
> > front cash.
> Wouldn't it be better to send your $35 to the FSF or another group
> or individual to develop a DFSG-compliant product?

Well, the FSF is all for GNUscape (Emacs W3), which I find tooo slow.
Also, I dislike the idea of coding such things into Emacs (even though
XEmacs is my editor of choice). But using elisp is the solution for
everything, no...

Mnemonic is still far off track, I haven't even managed to display a
single page yet.

Amaya looks promising, but still has quite a few bugs left. Also W3C has
now released Amaya on Windows platforms, and currently 70%+ of the
messages in the Amaya-Mailinglist are regarding bugs in the Windows
platform version of Amaya which stunts Amayas growth. Too bad. Still,
regarding some other comment - Amaya is the third browser for Linux that
supports java (via kaffe).

Arena is rather crash prone, and since Yggdrasil took over development, I
haven't heard much about newer releases of it.

Mosaic is over-aged now, and shows no further progress.

QWeb and Grail (Python based browser) are rather slow. This goes
especially for Grail.

WebTK also isn't that cool yet -- even though it might become a good
program given enough time and further development.

lynx is pretty nice, but text-based only.

Opera might be commercial software, but at least it's there on one
platform and there it is a real alternative to Netscape. I hope they
proceed to make a Linux conversion.

I think, that about wraps it up.

  Benedikt

Windows 95: n.
    32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
    operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,  written
         by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.