Re: Using source code for debian; compiling debian

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Several hundred of the Debian packages will compile automaticaly. A number
> of them will not, and require a bit of hand tweaking.
>
> You can't install _all_ debian packages, as many of them conflict with each
> other. For example we distribute at least 4 web servers, and you'd only want
> one.

I think this is a major shortcoming of the debian package
system.  Why wouldn't I want to run two different web
servers?  Two packages that provide the same functionality
don't need to be mutually exclusive.  Likewise, I'd very
much like to see support for multiple concurrent package
instances.  This is key for migration in a production
environment.  It goes without saying that its a must for a
development environment.  It would require rethinking quite
a few things though.

This isn't at all related to the Subject, of course.

I'll shut up now :)

Cheers,

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto