Re: Linux machine behind Win95 proxy

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Collin Rose wrote:

> My Linux machine is running behind a Windows 95 proxy. How could I
> setup an web/ftp/telnet requests to the Windows 95 machine to be
> redirected to the Linux machine?

i don't know, that's a function of your win95 software...you'll have to
read the manual which came with the proxy/routing/whatever software.  i.e.
it's a windows question, not a debian or linux question.

it sounds like a *very* strange thing to do - why put a great
router/proxy/firewall operating system behind a pile of steaming windows?

you'd be much better off making your linux machine your proxy and using
the win95 machine as the client.

win95 (and NT, for that matter) performs abysmally as a router or
internet gateway.  Linux performs brilliantly in that role.  IMO you'd
have far less trouble if you used the right tool for the job.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract